I have eaten beets before, but I have to admit that I have never purchased fresh beets and cooked them. Today, I did just that by roasting them.
Though beets are high in carbohydrates, they are packed with healthy nutrients that help lower blood pressure, boost stamina, decrease inflammation, may reduce chances of getting cancer, improve immune system, boosts brain power, and detoxify the body ().
- Bunch of beets with stems/greens still attached
- Aluminum foil
- Baking sheet
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash the beets and stems.
- Cut the stems from the beets (save the “greens” and saute with olive oil, garlic and onions!).
- Wrap each individual beet with aluminum foil.
- Place foil-wrapped beets on a baking sheet.
- Place in oven and cook for 45 minutes, check every 15 minutes and test doneness with a fork.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Use a paper towel to remove the peel from the beets (Paper towel keeps you from staining your hands red)
- Chopped or slice the beets and add to salads, meals or to eat as snacks. You can also leave them whole and slice/chop as needed.
Note: They will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.