I used my small to make these stone ground grits overnight. They were delicious and ready to eat right out of the Crockpot. All I had to do this morning was scramble my pepper and onion eggs and cook up some bacon to complete breakfast. This recipe is so easy.
The best part is that you can refrigerate any leftovers that you may have to use as sides for the next day’s lunch or dinner. The grits are delicious, and would go well with pan-seared pork chops or barbecued chicken.
Slow Cooker Grits
- 1 cup stone ground grits
Not instant or quick grits because they will turn to mush.
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2-4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 3 tbsp shaved parmesan cheese
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Spray the inside of a 2.5-quart Crockpot with your favorite cooking spray.
- Add grits, salt and water in the Crockpot, and stir.
- Cover and cook on the Low setting for 8 hours.
NOTE: If you happen to wake up in the middle of the night, give it a stir, but it’s not completely necessary because you sprayed the Crockpot.
- Remove the cover and add the butter. Stir the grits until the butter has melted completely.
- Sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top and add pepper to taste.
You can easily turn this grits into a creamier version by 1) adding 1/2 cup of milk with butter and stirring, or 2) also adding your favorite cheese like gruyere or cheddar when mixing in the butter.